St Nicholas’, Hereford
St Nicholas’ Church closed for regular worship in December 2024.
Its parish is now served by Holy Trinity, which has become the parish church for the former St Nicholas’ parish, and worshippers from St Nicholas’ have found a warm welcome there.
A Potted History
St Nicholas’ has ancient roots. The church is mentioned in the Letters and Charters of Gilbert Foliot as early as 1155, and by the time John Leland passed through Hereford in 1539, it was recorded as one of just four parish churches within the city walls.
The building most recently in use was erected in 1841, on Barton Road near the site of the old White Friars monastery, replacing an earlier church that had stood for centuries at the top of King Street. Built in the Early English style, it served its parish faithfully for over 180 years, its font carried over from the old church, and its organ rebuilt and restored many times across the twentieth century.
We are grateful for everyone who worshipped, married, was baptised, and was laid to rest at St Nicholas’ over the centuries, and for all who cared for the building and its people.
Worship Continues at Holy Trinity
Members of the former St Nicholas’ congregation are warmly welcomed at Holy Trinity, Whitecross Road, which has taken on responsibility for the parish. Details of services and worship times can be found on our Services & Prayer page.
The Building
The St Nicholas’ building is being taken on by Simply Church Hereford for their own ministry. For enquiries about the building itself, please contact them directly.

